In all cases, it was the same httpd.conf. Of course, from apache 1 to 2 there where differences, but basicly it's the same.

your description gives the impression that there is a DNS configuration problem... like apache is trying for 5-10 seconds to look something up, fails and then finally
decides to run your script.

you can test that with a simple script like:

<?php /*make sure all outputbuffering is off!*/ for ($i=0;$i < 100000;$i++) { echo "$i<br />"; } ?>

chances are it will start outputting after a certain ammount of time rather than right away. that said this is a very simplistic test and my understanding of this stuff is rather limited.

It did occure to me that there maybe a dns issue, but it can't be. My tests were done on two separates server rooms. In the second one (the one with the xserves), I have 3 computers. All ip config is exactly the same (apart from main ip)... And the only non-network related difference between the nodes are the OS (10.3 vs 10.4).

Besides, if it were a DNS problem, I would also experience delays elswhere, like ssh, ftp an other things network-related.

I did the test, and it started to output immediatly...

Thanks,

Nicolas