Skippy:
> The real downside I see it having to rely on JavaScript, but that's
> that.

The real downside - if I understand the concept correctly - ist that an
open browser window isn't equal to an 'active' session. I.e. the famous
lunch break still "breaks" the application as the ping is sent to the
server without an user actually sitting in front of the page and editing
it.

All those session based systems are at best suboptimal anyway. Besides
the timeout-problem there are other issues to consider such as editing
outside of the page (in a client based editor) an then just copy 'n'
paste the changes back into the page.

So I'd say the mediawiki approach as outlined by Jasper is the best
possible in the context of a stateless protocol such as HTTP.

Regards,
Niels