Most likely you are using some template system that require using of
{{whatever}} as template varibles.

if you want to change {{whatever}} to something else, maybe you should
configure your template processing as well, just let it not  to find
{{whatever}} but the pattern you prefered, and also replace
{{whatever}} with that pattern.

another tip, if you want to use `$' as literal , i.e. not
interpretered by php engine, quote the string with single quote.
like this:
  $str_val='$something';
, or like this:
  $str_val="\$something";
in both case, you will get a literal sting `$something'.