I have just installed MySql on Win XP and am attempting to run a php script to
create some databases. The script works fine on FreeBSD 5.3 running
mysql-client-5.0.11 and mysql-server-5.0.11.

MySQL has been installed on windows XP using a download of
mysql-5.0.13-rc-win32.zip. Test.php reports php version 4.3.1.0 and is
installed with ZendStudio which I am currently testing on win XP as I cannot
yet  get any version of Zend later than 3.x to run on FreeBSD.

The username for mysql is 10 chars with a password of 8 chars and is able to
login successfully from the command line.

However when attempting to login via the script I get the following error:

"Error while connecting to MySQL: Client does not support authentication
protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client."

I have searched the mysql website and located an article which shows reference
to this error indicating that the client may need to be upgraded but as I am
using the mysql-5.0.13-rc-win32.zip package I am cautious about assuming that
that is the actual cause.

I am curious whether it is something to do with the php version.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Please ask for additional information you think might be helpful
Thanks in advance

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.