richard...

you miss a key nuance/point to the msg. her idea/thought was twofold. 1)
whether companies would have ideas/projects that they would be interested in
partially funding, and 2) if there would be a 'talented' pool of developers
who would be interested in working on the initial apps.

there are a lot of ideas within companies that don't ever make it to full
blown products. the basic idea would be to setup a structure and to find
companies that have these projects. the project could be a possible add on
to round out the biz offerings, it might be a test for a new
direction/product, it might be a project that you fund for competitive
reasons, etc...

the intent would not be to secure complete funding to fully
create/market/sell the product/project code (that's what the vc is for!!)
rather, the goal of the structure would be to 'jump start'/test apps in a
relatively fast/efficient manner.

the structure would be set up to get the projects, manage the projects,
distribute the initial funding, based on the project goals...

the question was whether there are talented developers who'd want to
participate in this kind of function/structure.

there are already a great deal of conusulting companies who look to
businesses for consulting/development/design work. this kind of model would
simply be an offshoot of that kind of approach.

-bruce