Richard -

Thanks for the helpful suggestion but that won't resolve my problem
the way I currently have it written because I'm creating a new, nested
<ul> each time I loop through:

print "<ul>";
foreach ($parent as $key => $value) {
print "</ul>";

So when I tried this, the output was still inverted because it began
printing at the innermost branch of the nested list.

I'm trying to figure out a way now to save the output into an array
instead of outputting and then traversing the array in a separate
function to output it. Might run into the same problem again but I'm
hopeful that once the data is an array, I can make use of a php
function to reverse or sort the array.

Another reader also recommended this article on php and recursion:

http://www.zend.com/zend/art/recursion.php

I'll post if I get any closer,

- Greg