On 15 Nov 2005, at 19:53, Robin Vickery wrote:

I doubt very much if they will be disabled. They are perfectly valid
SGML processing instructions.

Firstly, I didn't actually suggest they were disabled. I suggested
that they should be off by default.

Late to the party I know, but I think something has been missed here. Here's an excerpt from php.ini-recommended in a fresh download of PHP:

; Allow the <? tag. Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are recognized. ; NOTE: Using short tags should be avoided when developing applications or
; libraries that are meant for redistribution, or deployment on PHP
; servers which are not under your control, because short tags may not
; be supported on the target server. For portable, redistributable code,
; be sure not to use short tags.
short_open_tag = Off

Given most ISPs habit of leaving everything at defaults, I'd say this pretty much puts paid to using short tags.

Admittedly it is on in php.ini-dist, but that's not recommended is it ;^)

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture