At 12:22 23/4/2001 +1000, Chris Aitken wrote:
>At 11:15 PM 22/04/2001, Christian Dechery wrote:
>
>>Yeah... I know that... but, c'mon... a browser that doesn't support
>>Javascript can't surf trough at least 30% of all websites... it's the
>>absolute minority. Netscape itself is a minority.
>
>While its true Netscape is a minority, and browsers not allowing
>Javascript are an even bigger minority (Bigger Minority..... Military
>Intelligence.... Microsoft Works ?), I think Jasons point was more to show
>that its best to use an option which will work on all environments if
>possible. Sure, the Javascript system will work, but the header() function
>works better.
>
>Surely its better to write your code trying not to exclude any user if at
>all possible.

Yeah... I know what you and Jason mean.

I justed pointed out that it could work nicely... and I just tought of
that... I user header("location: ... ") on all my scripts and struggle to
put them before any output (that's not easy)...
I work on a e-commerce website (coding in ASP, but what can I do?) with
lots of JavaScript calls that in some cases are the heart of the operation,
and we never had any trouble or complaints with it.

I know that, the best way is to get your script running anywhere regardless
of what browser or OS people use, but is important too to use as much of
the technology as you can. Like HTML capable clients... in a recent pass,
that was a nightmare cuz half the people used the most outdated email
clients, but nowadays, almost every spam or corporate email I get, is HTML,
people who don't have HTML capable clients, hurry to get them. I won't even
get started with "<noframes>Your browser isn't frames capable</noframes>",
hehe. Javascipt is almost a standard and it is a great help in many cases
where server-side simply won't do the job. I don't know... I'm just
thinking here... maybe its all BS! :)