> I want to check a string and return the amount of words present
> in it. These
> strings could be quite large, some higher than 100,000
> characters. I realize
> I could explode the string on the whitespace and count the number
> of values.
> However, I'm not sure this would be the most optimized way to do this,
> especially considering there will be some quite large strings passed. Any
> ideas on the most efficient to count the number of words in a
> large string?

$string = "Here is a very long string";
$array = explode(" ", $string);
$count = sizeof($array);
echo $count;

destiney - (des-ti-ny) - n. 1. deity of all things "html", 2. common
internet addict, 3. lover of late 80's heavy metal music, 4. Activist
for the terminally un-elite; see also - cool guy, des, mr. php...

It's 4:00am, your web site is still up, why are you?
http://phplinks.org/ http://destiney.com/