Hello,

> If your system's crypt() function supports standard DES crypt, then that
> will be the default if you do not supply a salt.  PHP will generate a
> random DES salt for you.  If you supply your own random MD5 salt and your
> system's crypt() function supports MD5, then it will generate an
> md5-encrypted string.  That's just the way it works.

Thanks, i reread the english documentation and there it's also explained this
way. But my german documentation says 'If no salt is supplied crypt() will
use a 2 chars des-salt per default unless md5 exists on your system. PHP will
then generate randomly a md5-salt.'. A bit mistakable I think.
I'll give the translator a wink.

Thanks again and best regards
  Niklas Neumann