James Benson wrote:

Could use the xampp package or just the openssl & php from it,

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Chuck Anderson wrote:
[I've had this posted in the php.windows group for a few days, but I got no replies there.]

I have been plugging away at this for some time now and I can not figure out how to get https and ftps as registered streams in my Windows installation of Php (4.4.0). My direct need is to use fopen on secure URLs - https.

(I've installed openssl - enabled the Php openssl extension - and verified that my copy of Php was compiled with the openssl module.)

The latest thing I have read says that I need a "special" copy of php4ts.dll in order to enable secure streams (https, ftps) in Php on Windows (XP, in my case).

The posts I read point to copies of php4ts.dll for Php 4.3.4.

I am running Php 4.4.0. Where can I find a copy of php4ts.dll for Php4.4.0 that enables secure streams?

(And is that really the solution in Php 4.4.0?)

Thanks in Advance
A followup: This is from a while back (two weeks ago), but I finally tried installing xampp. I installed it into c:\xampp and when I managed to get it working (independent of my other apache service) it did what I needed. I had https and ftps as registered streams. Soooooooo ... I copied the php in xampp into c:\php and the apache dll files into my existing apache folder and ultimately made a real mess of things. Since I had backed everything up, I put it all back the way it was, uninstalled xampp, and to my surprise, I now have https and ftps streams registered in my previous installation. I'm glad I can finally access secure sites from my Php scripts, but I have no idea what is that I managed to change to allow it.

(I have a guess. With things mixed up a bit I started getting an error message I'd never seen before when starting Apache (with Php as a module). A search on Google for the error message ... Function registration failed - duplicate name .... I got the advice to NOT register openssl in php.ini, if it was already statically linked in the binary. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. This may have been my problem earlier, but for some reason I was not seeing any error messages.)

Oh well. At least it's Apache 2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a and Php 4.4.1, so I shouldn't need to upgrade any time soon (other than to eventually try out Php 5).