On Wednesday 30 November 2005 22:48, Kilbride, James wrote:
> Does anybody know of a way to run PHP files on a windows mobile
> device(Pocket PC 2003)? Optimally I'd like to run it under a web server
> running on the mobile device itself but barring that I'll take some
> form of command line I guess. Realize that the mobile device will NOT
> be running any active network connectivity. For all intents and
> purposes the individual is sitting in a wireless empty room with no
> land connectivity talking to the mobile device. I haven't been able to
> find any web servers that run on the Pocket PC that can be viewed by
> the mobile IE(or mobile Opera either I guess) when it doesn't have
> active connectivity, at which point I might as well just be using a
> server for all of the mobile devices rather than hiding it on the
> mobile device.

If you're willing to ditch the "windows mobile" requirement (Wince/WM is
crap anyway) then you could have a look at the Sharp Zaurus series. Run
www.pocketworkstation.org on one of the Zaurus and you'll have access to
most of Debian in the palm of your hand. I've successfully run FUDforum
using Apache2/PHP4/MySQL on my Zaurus. Ruby on Rails works as well albeit
a tad slow -- I need to figure out how to get fastcgi working. And unlike
WM devices, you can run *real* browsers, Firefox and Mozilla are
available.