While it is true that you don't have to put your files in the web directory
at all and it is a more secure option there is still one very large
inconvenience that prevents me from going with that option. You lose the
usefulness of just including "$DOCUMENT_ROOT/yourfolder/yourfilename". This
is the main reason that I do put my files in the root web directory. So how
do you tell all of your files where your included content is? Do you hard
code the path in every page? If so, do you also have development, stage, and
live environments that mimic the exact same directory structures? If not, do
you always change the include strings by hand every time you move from one
environment to another? Do you run into these problems? What kind of
solutions/workarounds have you implemented?

I have always used this style of including documents because it enables me
to do my mockup ideas on my Windows machine with PWS. Then I can move onto
my Linux test box and try the site in my home account. Then I can push the
exact same code to the dev server which uses www as the root web directory.
Then I can push the exact same code to the staging server for clients to see
which has wwwroot as the root web directory and the live environment mimics
the stage environment so that move makes little to no difference. Now if
someone else was working on the same project and checked the files out of
CVS they would have to tweak their copy to work in their special environment
instead of just running and developing the files. This just seems like a
whole lot of extra work to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way
anyone can see the source code of a php file if the extension is associated
with the PHP interpreter is if you provide a phps file that they can see or
if someone uninstalls the PHP interpreter (which bypasses the situation
because the first condition is no longer being met).

I'm really curious to see how other developers handle these kind of
development situations.