Is there a good write up out there or can anyone offer
some insight to the rest of us as to how error handling
should be properly implemented?
Yes, PEAR has some error handling routines, but it
doesn't have any kind of information as to how it should
be "properly" implemented.  I've just finished writing a
pretty decent error handling class of my own but going
through my code, I see places where I can add the
trigger_error() function, but beyond that, I'm not sure
exactly how to process it all.
Up to now, I've just been doing some generic error
handling.  If a query fails, if a user enters the wrong
value, I print out a message.  But now that I'm handling
all the errors, I'm finding that I'm getting so many more
messages from PHP than I was before.  For example, if
a variable wasn't "properly" initialized

(ie, I'll get an error in this case:

$mode = "add";
if( $mode == "add" ) {
  $joe = "bob";

}

if( $joe ) {
  echo "You got here";

}

an error will be thrown by PHP saying that $joe is
uninitialized)

It's not as if that's a big deal.  It isn't.  But since I'm
getting more information than I need to actually give
the end user, it seems like kind of a daunting task to
start handling the errors myself.  It is something we
are going to need to do so I cannot put it off.  But I
am hoping that there is some sort of write up or tutorial
or something out there where I can learn from the
experience of others as to how something like this should
be done "properly".  I'd rather do something of this
magnitude right the first time.

As an aside,  in writing this class and seeing how PHP
works in this regard, I've so much more respect for
what PHP actually does behind the scenes with regards
to error and syntax checking.  It was definitely a learning
experience.

Chris