Jesse Guardiani <jesse <at> wingnet.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have an old version of php (4.3.2) that is acting rather strangely. I'm
> searching two large arrays (approx 22,000 records in each) using
> array_diff_key() from the PEAR PHP_Compat library:
>
>         $result = $args[0];
>         foreach ($args[0] as $key1 => $value1) {
>             for ($i = 1; $i !== $array_count; $i++) {
>                 foreach ($args[$i] as $key2 => $value2) {
>                     if ((string) $key1 === (string) $key2) {
>                         unset($result[$key2]);
>                         break 2;
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>
> And I'm getting aweful performance. I know it's a ton of records (22,000 *
> 22,000), but it shouldn't take 16 minutes on a P4 Xeon 2.4ghz!
>
> Has anyone seen this before? Is this a bug? Or are my math skills lacking and
> this is perfectly normal performance for the size of the data set?
>
> Thanks!

I've conducted a little multi-language benchmark to see how other languages
compare to PHP with regard to associative arrays of this size:
    http://www.guardiani.us/index.php/Hash_Array_Benchmark

The result in short? PHP is a pretty typical performer, IMO.

Thanks!

P.S. Please read the disclaimer carefully before submitting criticism. Unless
you have a neat optimization to share or code from another language to
contribute, I've probably heard it already and don't care. :)