A user of mine insists that her email address shows on a web page. I
need to protect that address from spam bots. There are lots of
solutions around that I have come acros. I am looking for a clean,
reusable, non-javascript solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Gerry

Gerry:

There are several ways to help protect your email address.

There are only two ways for a spambot to get your email address from a web site: A) to read it via a screen reader, which is exceedingly slow. I may be wrong, but I doubt that any serious harvester would consider this method; B) to read it via text contained within your web site.

A) With the first you could use CAPTCHA, see:

http://xn--ovg.com

If you want the code, I'll provide.

B) With the second, you need to disguise your email address such that spambots don't understand it.

One way is to use Enkoder (it's javascript):

http://automaticlabs.com/enkoderform/

I also have their program and it works great.

For example, check out the source for the following page:

http://www.sperling.com/contact.php

The javascript enkoder portion is hidden from spambots.

Using javascript isn't bad -- at last count less than 9 percent of surfers don't have javascript.

Another way is to use PHP, but it is involved. I direct you to "PHP Cookbook" O'Reilly by Sklar page 188.

I'm sure there are other ways, but the above work.

tedd