Olaf Greve wrote:

Hi guys,

I suspect something went wrong in the way I try to use PHP. Basically, I first removed the installed /usr/ports/lang/php4 port, then built and installed the /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 port, and then added various php4-extensions, using the /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions port
(I suspect the extensions to cause the problem).

Does anyone know what could be going on and/or how to properly set up PHP 4 under Apache 2.2?

Tnx a lot in advance, and cheers!
Olafo

Check at least these two things:

1.  The extension_dir directive in /usr/local/etc/php.ini should be pointing
to the latest directory of *so files (or, more correctly, to the one that
corresponds to the build you completed in conjuction with apache2 ---
Shared Objects built with wrong dependencies is a classic "segfault
waiting to happen" scenario in my experience).

2.  For the "extension doubling", check the contents of
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini --- almost surely you have
duplicate entries there.

Just as an aside, if you're trying to keep up with PHP development
and the latest Apache, it might be a Good Thing(TM) to update
from FBSD 5.2.1 also.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
The Creation of the Universe was made possible by a grant from Texas
Instruments.