On Wednesday 25 April 2001 13:28, ahmad varoqua wrote:

> Hello, I too am a novice and have the same problems with "warning:
> undefined variable" or "undefined index" when I have display errors
> 'on'.  The scripts work fine and I have reg_globals 'off' (I've been
> following that thread closely as well!) .  How critical are these
> warnings? Is it overenthusiam on php's error tracking?  You say to

Well, "undefined variable" for example means, that at
if ($foobar == 0) {...}
$foobar hasn't been set to anything so far - it's value is undefined,
meaning that the if() can do what it wants.

> 'correct the code' and I believe you, but what should I do?  I want my

Well, for example when working with URL parameters (which may or may not
be set), use some wrapper function to access them. I use this code:

/*
 * Get global variable <name>
 * Automatically strips slashes when needed
 */
function pbGetGlobal ($Name)
{
        if (isset ($GLOBALS[$Name])) {
                if (get_magic_quotes_gpc () &&
                    is_string ($GLOBALS[$Name]))
                        return stripslashes ($GLOBALS[$Name]);
                else
                        return $GLOBALS[$Name];
        }
        else
        {
                return "";

$MyVar = pbGetGlobal ("foobar");
if ($MyVar == 0) {...}

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

"Software is like sex: the best is for free" -- Linus Torvalds