----- Original Message ----- From: "tedd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes, it's just a text file -- it can be re-written. However, it needs to be loaded again to take affect.

And it affects all documents of all users. Suddenly, by the action of one user, all other users reaching the same page will see things as per the actions of another user. Unless you take care to keep separate CSS files.

Yes, that's true -- but I was thinking that the user was the coder and that's what he/she wanted to do -- not that it was open to users to change per their whim.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original post.

Well, the original question was quite short. Either of us might be right or wrong. I assumed the case of a table with optional sub-items, like an expanding tree, or a menu or a table with categories where you want to expand any of the categories into its components.

document.getElementById('IdOfDivContainingTable').style.display='none';

It is particularly usefull to enclose whichever set of elements that you wish to change into a single entity, a DIV or SPAN, if at all possible.

That's the main principle of ajax, isn't it? Using DOM to apply changes within the document. It might be old-hat to most, but I find it fascinating.

No, this is not AJAX, it is simply using the DOM. Ajax also involves communication with the server in the background.

Yes, you are correct -- thanks for the clarification. At this point in my learning, both appear so intertwined that they are synonymous.

Styles assigned in this way have precedence over those from a style sheet

The precedence is simply inheritance -- last stated is applied.

No, if you dynamically load a new stylesheet after you set the style of an element using the DOM, this style would still have precedence over the new stylesheet. The precedence of styles is set by how you set it. Setting a style through the DOM has precedence over CSS attributes, which have precedence over styles specified by the style HTML attribute which has precedence over the default rendering of an element. Only within the same category the order of assignment would matter.

And, by the way, yes, you can load a new stylesheet.

As Johnny Carson said often "I didn't know that!" -- thanks.

So it's: DOM > CSS > HTML > Browser Default -- is that the precedence you are saying?

That's what my manual says. I remembered there was some precedence issue from some code of mine, some time ago, that didn't work as expected. I think it was a style="" attribute that wasn't working while when assigning it via the DOM did, and I couldn't figure out until I realized that a CSS definition was in between, having higher precedence than the style attribute, but lower than the DOM. One of those bugs that drive you nuts.

Satyam

tedd