""Paul Goepfert"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I didn't realize that those were single quotes.  I printed out the
email message and it looked like one set of double quotes for the
second parameter rather the two single quotes.

Is it possible for anyone to tell me what php method is used to grab
the first charater of a string?  And onece I have it what method
removes the characted or number?

I know this seems trivial but I am still new to php and I don't have a
good understanding of the language yet.  The more I do the better I'll
get.

Thanks
Paul

check out this page of the php manual for a few ideas. See the section
"String access and modification by character"

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php