The client cannot and does not send the session_id() used to hash the password back to the server, it does not need to, the client got it from the server.

It does send the session ID back though, because that's how the user maintains their session across requests.

For simplicity, let the totally made up word "noncehash" represent hash(hash(password)+nonce) -- that is, the hash of 'the nonce appended to the hash of the password'.

Generally, if the client ONLY sends (a) a user name and (b) a noncehash, then the server has no way to tell which nonce was originally issued. Therefor, the client has to send (a) a user name, (b) a noncehash, and (c) some key which can identify which nonce was sent. This key might be the session ID, the nonce itself, or something else[1].

If the key is the nonce itself and the only server-side validation is that the response noncehash is correct for the supplied nonce, attacker Bob can observe ANY valid nonce/noncehash combination Alice submits and replay it to gain access[2].

If the key is the session ID, and the only server-side validation is still that the response noncehash is correct for the given session ID, attacker Bob can STILL observe ANY valid session ID / noncehash combination Alice submits (she _is_ submitting the session ID -- the nonce, here -- because every request always includes the session ID when sessions are being used) and replay it immediately to gain access. This is "session hijacking", and it works because PHP will let Bob into Alice's session as long as he knows her session ID[3].

Instead, suppose the server-side validation is a little stronger: it checks that the response noncehash is correct for the given session ID, but ALSO checks to make sure that this session ID hasn't logged in yet. Now Bob can't replay the response immediately. He can still just hijack the logged-in session, though, and he might be able to replay the attack after Alice's session has expired, because the flag that says "this session has already logged in" will also have expired. I'm not sure if PHP will create an expired session ID for you; presumably it won't, but if you're writing your own session handler or implementing nonced password transmission in some other programming language, this might be a viable attack vector.

Evan

[1] It could even be the username, if the login process went like this: client sends server username, server generates a nonce and stores it in the user table, server sends generated nonce to client, client sends hash(hash(password)+nonce) to server -- but then an attacker can perform a DOS attack by repeatedly sending the server a username so that it regenerates nonces more quickly than the real user can log in. In any case, (a), (b) and (c) do not necessarily need to be three separate pieces of information, since one piece of information can serve multiple roles. [2] Unless nonces are stored in a database and flagged as "used" afterward. You can also, e.g., generate nonces in the form "timestamp,hash(timestamp+secret)"; google for more on this. [3] Unless you're e.g. restricting sessions by IP, but this is potentially a whole different can of worms.

It is the server that challenges the client with a session_id() (or any other random) sent clear and the client has to take the challenge and combine it with the password (which is not transmitted clear). Thus the client cannot tell the server, 'this is user xxx, with password yyyy hashed under session_id zzzz'. It is the server that challenges the client with the session_id. The attacker might collect enough samples so if a challenge repeats, he can have the answer ready, but that is unlikely with long enough challenges (and session_ids are long).

As for sending the session_id() from the server to the client in clear (not encrypted) it seems to me it doesn't make any sense to alter it in any way since, after all, you are also sending the algorithm in Javascript to the client, which is clear for anyone to see, so there would be no point in trying to hide the session_id in any way, and I don't think it would help the overall security.

My bank does use SSL, of course, and it still requires confirmation to do critical processes so, that might be a partial solution to spoofing.

Anyway, this is a poor man replacement for SSL, with limitations, but it is good to know what are those limitations.

Thanks for your help

Satyam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Evan Priestley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>