Means not bad - if it's REALLY well controlled. But, to risky.
:)

Chris wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

ok, then. how "smart" is to do something like this? what's a bad side?

Your memory will runaway and your script could potentially take over the server and slow everything down. Just like any other script could.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,
I'm working on the script that has to read csv file (51 column an a
little
bit over 3000 rows) with products and store the info in DB.
Script works fine while I tested on csv files up to 200 records.
And, when I tried to upload REAL data I got this.
PHP: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted ...

On google I found as a solution to put
ini_set("memory_limit","12M");
on the top of the script, except allowed memory size wasn't 8m then 12m
bytes.
I tried with 16M and it worked :)

My question is how "far" I can go with increasing? Where is "the limit"?
Why is not 24M as default in php.ini?

Thanks!

-afan

if you set the memory_limit to 0, then the script has unlimited memory
to its disposal.

Actually you need to set it to -1.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php