At 11:38 AM 4/2/2006, tedd wrote:

At 4:20 PM -0500 4/1/06, Joe Wollard wrote:
Leave poor Zouari alone! I for one think that Microsoft buying Zend would be
the best thing to happen to PHP, EVAR!

You might not think that way if you had been developing in M$ QuickBASIC for the Mac. One day M$ just said "Nope, the line isn't making the money we want, so we're dropping it." There were a lot of developers who were left hanging -- I wouldn't want to be there again.

If at all possible, I choose any alternative over what M$ provides.

tedd
--

Ditto to what Tedd just wrote - a major client has a project stranded forever in VB6 because MSFT broke the model with VB.NET. There are constructs and structures which were perfectly legitimate when it was first conceived, when VB4 was the current version.

So - when I was asked to write a little app to maintain some subscriber billing info and create some reports on the desktop side, which could have been done in Excel, I opted for PHP, PHP-GTK and MySQL. There was a learning curve with PHP-GTK's layout (Glade helped a lot!!) but this will continue to work, Windows or Linux, and should run on later Macs.

Great feeling!

Miles