Thanks for the responses to this...

The AJAX thing would probably not work as this is a critical piece to the UI, so even though the form would load faster, the users would still really need to wait for the select options to come through before they could actually do any *work* on the page.

The problems are horrific data, in that it has not been cleaned and validated, and there are not linkages, or layers to the data either, so there is literally no way to sub-select, which of course is poor planning by people before me. So, before I can fix the real problem, my stop gap solution was to load the list exactly once, as well as loading the contents into JS, therefore the users can search through to narrow down the list, and then using JS they can select an option and place in the the form element they are dealing with. Load time are much better, but still not great. I guess this is what happens when people get a ton of data before they properly planned to get that much data....

-Brad

Brad Ciszewski wrote:

Perhaps try implementing some AJAX on the page. Therefore, once the page has
loaded, the select tag is populated with different options, without actually
lagging the page.

""Jay Blanchard"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[snip]
I have a form for user interaction and part of it is a select box with a

large number of options from a database ~12K options.
Currently I have a function which queries the DB to get fresh data and
loads the HTML (<option value=X>Y</option>) into a string, so the DB is
only hit once,
but the page still takes a while to load.

Anyone else have any experience with something like this, or any other
helpful suggestions for making the page load time a little less
cumbersome?
[/snip]

If you are loading 12000 entries into a select box then that is way too
much. The gods of usability frown on you. Is there no way to make the
data selection slimmer?