[snip]

> I'm creating my own Object Oriented PHP Shopping Cart.

Okaaaaaaay.

You're doing this just for fun and education, right?

Cuz, seriously, it's about 100 X harder than you think to get a bunch of
details you've never even thought about correct.

And there are about 100 shopping carts already out there.

[/snip]

[slightly OT]

I too created my own shopping cart because I realized that by the time I
managed to adapt somebody else's solution to what I need, I would be done
programming my own shopping cart.

Reinventing the wheel?

Somewhat. It's about making a wheel that fits the vehicle that you build.

Just like in motorcycle building. You can either buy an engine and a chassis
and build around or you can make your own motorcycle from scratch.

It depends on what you want to do in the end. Be a simple integrator or
propose products that are deeply adapted to your clients' needs.

I also have never found a shopping cart that I liked, and always thought I
could do better, but that's me.

[/slightly OT]

To answer our friend, he seems to have to learn to develop simple
applications before starting building something as complex as a shopping
cart. Not only complex, but also sensitive, because the end of the process
is to handle credit card numbers, and I would not trust a beginner to handle
that type of information.

Functions that perform operations such as manipulating objects (a shopping
cart is an object, after all, so are the items, and the client's
information) are simply performed at the top and the functions which display
the changes or prompts the buyer for operations are shown at the bottom,
it's all very straight and linear.