At 11:45 PM 5/20/2006, Paul Goepfert wrote:
I have a drop down menu where I have the
months of year as menu items.  I want to be able to have the current
month be the selected month.  I have tried using the date function as
the way to set the current month as the selected value but it seems
that every value entered in the select box is set to selected.

Here is my code maybe someone can help me out

$month_query = mysql_query("SELECT m_id, months FROM Month");
        while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($month_query))
        {
                $v = $r["m_id"];
                $out = $r["months"];
echo("<option selected=" . date("F") . "value=$v>$out</option>\n");
        }

Just incase you want to know

m_id = 1..12
months = January..December

How do I set only the current month to selected ?

Paul,

The syntax for pre-selected options is:

HTML:  <option selected>            [1]
XHTML: <option selected="selected"> [2]

Options that are not pre-selected simply omit the selected attribute altogether.

Therefore you'll want code something like this:

        while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($month_query))
        {
                $v = $r["m_id"];        // numeric month
                $out = $r["months"];    // verbal month

                        // select option for current month
                        if ($v == date("n"))
                        {
                                $selected = 'selected="selected"';
                        }else{
                                $selected = '';
                        }

                echo "<option $selected value="$v">$out</option>\n";
        }

Notes:

- date("F") is the verbal month; date("n") is numeric [3]. Therefore you'll want to compare $v with date("n") or $out with date("F").

- Adhering to XHTML syntax, I've put the attribute values in quotes. [2]

- FYI, you can harmlessly include parentheses in the echo statement but echo is actually not a function and doesn't require parens [4].

Regards,
Paul
________________________

[1]
W3C HTML 4.01 Specification
17 Forms
17.6.1 Pre-selected options
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.6.1

[2]
XHTML™ 1.0 The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (Second Edition)
4. Differences with HTML 4
4.4. Attribute values must always be quoted
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.4

[3]
PHP Manual
VI. Function Reference