Richard Lynch wrote:

On Tue, May 23, 2006 4:39 pm, Adam Zey wrote:
The only other approach I can figure out is to send periodic POST
requests with the latest data, the downside of which is a huge
increase
in latency between data production and consumption.

Sounds like you maybe want to run your own "server"...
http://php.net/sockets

Unfortunately, the requirement is that the script be able to accept data on port 80, and co-exist with an existing webserver at the same time. As far as I can tell, this requirement can only be fulfilled by running the script through a webserver. Also, sockets are not compiled into PHP by default, and stream sockets aren't included in versions below PHP 5.0.0, as far as I can tell. That sort of puts a hamper on socket usage.

Regards, Adam Zey.