On 5/25/06, Phil Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

      I'm new to the list and also new to php, I hope I can learn many
things from here.
      My first doubt is the following: I'm trying to create a small monitor
system, just to suit my needs in monitoring some services in my application.
I've found some functions that return to me the service by port, name and so
on (getservbyport, getservbyname). What I need is to monitor remote server
services, I mean, lets suppose I have a server 192.168.0.2 with a ssh server
running. I'd like to see the status (up/down) of that server from another
machine, like 192.168.0.1. I don't want to use some monitoring softwares out
there in the web, i know they exist and in fact I use many of them like
nagios, cacti and so on, but I'm planning to do my own small solution.
     What I need is some function that asks me a remote IP, port and
protocol as input data and results TRUE/FALSE (any boolean value), just to
see if the service is up. I did that making a function using nmap, but i
don't want to hold that solution to linux, I'd like to use it at other OS.
My function's syntax is like this

<?php
     $ssh_status=service_status (192.168.0.2, 22, tcp);
     if ($ssh_status==TRUE); {
             echo "Service UP";
     } else {
             echo "Service DOWN";
     }
?>

   Does anyone know if there is a similar function in PHP ? I'd be very
happy if somebody knows about a function like that.

No such function exists.

You should check out http://www.nagios.org - it's not php but it does
what you want.

--