Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, June 1, 2006 3:52 am, Kevin Waterson wrote:

This one time, at band camp, "D. Dante Lorenso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Is SPL meant to be used?  If so, is it experimental?  Is it
documented?
Should I stay away from SPL for production code?  What's the
official word?

Officially SPL is part of PHP. It provides a standard interface for
iterating over
aggregate objects, eg: array, directory listing, xml, etc...

try{
   foreach ( new DirectoryIterator('./') as $Item )
       {
       echo $Item.'<br />';

catch(Exception $e){
   echo 'No files Found!<br />';
}

So, of all the things that COULD go wrong, we just assume it's "No
files Found"???

I don't think I'll ever learn to like SPL or try/catch...

12 months ago you wouldn't be seen dead near an install of php5 ;-)

on a more serious note Kevins uber simple try/catch block is not indicative
of the crapness of exceptions per se - besides it's already better handling than
most noobs have in there code (not to say that Kevin is a noob because I can't
judge that based on just this - besides we were all noobs once)

to give a pseudo example:

try {
        // do stuff with DirectoryIterator
}
catch (SomeKindOfDirectoryIteratorRelatedException $e) {
        // empty dir?
}
catch (SomeOtherKindOfDirectoryIteratorRelatedException $e) {
        // file system permissions failure?
}
catch (YetAnotherKindOfDirectoryIteratorRelatedException $e) {
        // dir doesn't exist
}
catch (Exception $e) {
        // failsafe/fallback catch for when we don't have a clue what went wrong
}

<stupid_pun>
so you could 'try' to like it, it will probably 'catch' on regardless
</stupid_pun>

better the devil you know.

:-)