Hello,

on 07/03/2006 05:22 PM Jay Paulson said the following:

>>> You may want to take a look at this post for a few recommendations:
>>>
>>> http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/52-Recommended-PHP-frameworks.html
>> That is a nice sales pitch Manuel but takes  bit of digesting.
>>
>> Jay - This is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question. So there
>> are as many answers as there are developers here ;)
>>
>> I've only ever used Smarty - and not seen anything yet to replace it.
>>
>> PDO is being pushed as a DB Abstraction library, but it only 'abstracts'
>> the calls to PHP, it does nothing to abstract the SQL if you want a
>> truly generic solution, if you need one, but if you don't then why
>> bother with abstraction ;)
>
> Thinking about this paragraph above makes me wonder if with that way of
> looking at it would one need a template engine?  For example, why not just
> separate the business logic and the HTML as much as possible and then only
> imbed PHP in HTML to display the variables (<?= $var ?>)?? Then at the end
> of your PHP code that does all the logic just have include() calls to the
> .php files you want to parse and pass all the variables you got with your
> business logic above the include calls? Hm.  Just a thought.

You think like that because you work alone or with other PHP developers.

The truth is that good PHP developers are often not good Web (page)
designers, and good Web designers are not good developers.

Therefore it makes sense to split the Web page design work from PHP
programming work.

Smarty templates are easier to learn by Web designers than PHP. They do
not need to know PHP.

Furthermore, it is not a good idea to leave Web designers that does not
know PHP very well to write PHP code as they may write insecure code and
you will have to double the work by auditing the  PHP based templates.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/