>> Code:
>> function default_error_handler($code, $error, $file, $line) {
>>    switch ($code) {
>>    case E_ERROR:
>>       die ("Error: $error");
>>    case E_WARNING:
>>       die("Warning: $error");
>>    default:
>>       die("Something else entirely: $error");
>>    }
>> }
>> set_error_handler('default_error_handler');
>> require('This file does not exist. At least not here!');
>>
>> Result:
>> Warning: require(This file does not exist. At least not here!)
>> [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
>>
>> Expected Result:
>> Error: require(This file does not exist. At least not here!)
>> [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
>>

> If you comment out the 'set_error_handler' line what happens? Do you get
> what you expect (and what should happen) ?
>
> It looks like a pretty simple bug report to me but others may have
> reasons why it's not working.

Without the error handler, I get the expected result: A fatal error with
the script dying. That is what makes this so mysterious. Doesn't make
sense that it would raise a different kind of error under different
circumstances. It should have the same value every time.

I'm going to sit on this for a day or so and see what people say before I
toss it over to the bug folks. No sense in bothering them if I'm being a
bonehead. (o;