On Wed, August 2, 2006 9:50 am, Gabe wrote:
> Gabe wrote:
>> What's the common consensus as to a solid PHP framework to use for
>> application development?  There seems to be a number of them out
>> there,
>> but I'm not sure which one's are the most robust, actively
>> developed,
>> secure, etc etc.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Sounds like it's just personal preference.  But thanks for all the
> posts!
>
> Too bad there isn't a skeleton sort-of system that you essentially
> then
> just plug in the modules that you want/need to "flesh" it out.  Then
> you'd have your own customized framework for each app that is
> developed
> and keeps *all* of the modules relevant to that app.  Nothing extra
> would be included that isn't needed.
>
> Then as a developer all you're looking for is modules and not huge
> frameworks that may include lots of functionality that you don't have
> any interest in.  It would certainly keep any attack surface smaller
> when it comes to vulnerabilities.

It's arguable that using a highly popular framework makes your attack
surface larger.

The Bad Guys would MUCH rather have a hack that they can use to attack
a million sites than one that would only work on one of my stupid
little sites that nobody visits and nobody cares about anyway.

> Is there anything out there like that?

You may want to look at Drupal, Cake, PHPNuke, Smarty, ...

The list is endless, really, with a dizzying array of different features.

And you're not going to get any kind of concensus on this one at this
time, and probably not for the forseeable future.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm