Hi Everybody,

Despite all of my Googling and noodling, I can't seem to figure this
out, and am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right
direction.

Scenario:
- Running Apache 1.3 on OSX 10.4, PHP 5.1.4, MySQL 5.0.19
- Greek text is stored in a MySQL database, encoding set to UTF-8
- From within a db admin like CocoaMySQL, the greek text looks normal
- PHP queries the db table for the greek text
- no matter how I echo the text to screen (see below), it only
produces '?????' marks

What I've tried:
- force utf-8 headers to be sent  ---> header("Content-type:
text/html; charset=UTF-8");
- indicate utf-8 in the meta tag --> <meta http-equiv=Content-Type
content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
- simpley echo the string as is --> echo $greek_string;
- wrap output in htmlentities() --> echo htmlentities($greek_string,
ENT_NOQUOTES, 'UTF-8');
- wrap output in utf8_decode() --> echo utf8_decode($greek_string);
- If I copy and paste greek characters from the db table into a string
in my PHP script, and output that, it works just FINE, without any
htmlentities() or other functions.

I'm at a loss.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
John W