Robert, Ray, Richard,

Thank you all for responding with helpful advice.

Robert said:
It's all about the headers... header( "Content-type: text/csv" ); header( "Content-disposition: inline; filename=$filename" );

Ah... that's something I think I never would have figured out with the manual alone. Now that I know, it seems super easy.

Thanks to everyone - those who responded directly as well as the PHP list in general.

With the right regular expressions and file handling mechanisms in place, I now have a script that does everything I set out for it to do.

Everyone's time and expertise is very much appreciated.

--
Dave M G