Warren Vail wrote:
> Many of the older PHP implementations don't have the mysql_escape_string
> function, if not addslashes should work....

this is true.

> I would be interested to know
> what might get past the addslashes function that the mysql_escape_string
> function catches.

not sure about that but one assumes MySQL is better equipped to know
how to properly/safely escape data - besides mysql_real_escape_string()
is character set aware. on top of this you don't know what the future will bring
mysql(_real)_escape_string() is better in terms of future proofing.

if anyone answer Warren's question I would be interested to read about it too
:-)