On Sun, August 13, 2006 1:43 pm, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> tedd wrote:
>> At 6:48 PM -0700 8/12/06, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>>> By the way, everyone should be setting a charset.  If you don't set
>>> it, IE will look at the first 4k of the body of the page and take a
>>> wild guess.
>>>
>>> -Rasmus
>>
>> -Rasmus:
>>
>> Ok, but why doesn't w3c use it?
>>
>> http://validator.w3.org   (check source)
>>
>> I'm not sure what to do re charset. I've been told by credible
>> sources
>> to "always use it" and "never use it" -- which is correct? Or, is
>> this
>> one of those "it depends" things?
>
> W3C is all about standards.  IE is all about not following standards.
> If you want your site to work in the real world you should always set
> charset.  If you set it in your response header there is no need to
> set
> it in each page, and if you look closely, you will see that this is
> what
>   w3.org is doing:
>
> 9:55am shiny:~> telnet validator.w3.org 80
> Trying 133.27.228.132...
> Connected to validator.w3.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD / HTTP/1.0
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:42:15 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.4
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Connection: close

If you want it to actually WORK in IE, you need both header() and META
tag...

At least in my limited testing so far under UTF-8 and Transition DOCTYPE.

YMMV

This is no guarantee that IE will work under any other DOCTYPEs, nor
in any other versions of IE.

Only that I know that's what it took for the current version of IE I
was using a month or two ago.

It would be interesting if somebody who understood charsets MUCH
better than I were to test all the combinations of:

IE version  X   header/meta charset   X    many charsets

and see just how many of them actually work, and how many of them open
up IE to XSS attacks...

What a mess MS makes of things!

--
Like Music?