On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:14:42 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, August 14, 2006 2:41 am, Ivo F.A.C. Fokkema wrote:
>>>
>>> Or perhaps these browsers pre-date W3C standards. :-)
>>
>> Sure, but in newer versions, they might update their code to follow
>> the standards after all... wouldn't they?
>
> Of course!
>
> But are all my users going to run out and upgrade because some W3C
> weenie (from their persepctive) told them to?
>
> No.
>
> In fact, *some* of my users are so economically-challenged that their
> hardware doesn't support a W3C-compliant browser due to memory
> constraints.

Holy sh*t! Seriously? Since it became a HTML specification back in 1999,
that must be quite some old software. I just assumed people upgraded by
then, so it wouldn't be a problem at all. Not too sure if it's the best
"economically-challenged" way to go, since they're probably waiting for
ever to get their system booted, but that's a different story. Do you
happen to know their browser specs?

I've went through the list of browsers visiting our website (based on JS
statistics). These are the oldest, of every browser type, taken from the
last 5000 page hits:

Firefox 1.0
Mozilla 1.0
MS Internet Explorer 5.0
Netscape 7.0
Opera 7.5
Profile 1.0
Safari 1.2
WebTV/MSTV 2.6

MS IE 5.0 is pretty old :) And I don't even know 'Profile 1.0'...

> So I'm going to provide backwards-compatible code which:
>   does not break anything for W3C-compliant browsers
>   supports ancient browsers
>   costs almost nothing in CPU time for any reasonable-sized GET/POST

OK, OK, you won me over :)

> Do you want to add to the Digital Divide by not supporting ancient
> hardware/software, or do you want to only provide web services to the
> wealthy :-) :-) :-)

<Evil>MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAH!</Evil>

Oh, sorry, was that out loud?