Hello,

This problem has now been resolved.
The problem as described below was NOT caused by
PHP. The problem was actually a file permissions/ownership problem.

A.) The apache webserver runs as a user with specific
priviledges. On this particular server the webserver runs as user
'apache'.

B.) The file that CGI/PHP 'myprog' was attempting to open for input
was owned by a different user. The user 'apache' had no rights to
the file.

C.) Because the CGI was unable to open the input file, several
following output files failed to be generated. Thus the error in PHP.

The resolution was to place files, to be accessed by the apache webserver
user, in directories and files that are owned by apache:apache, or
nobody:nogroup.

chown apache:apache /mydirectory
cd mydirectory
chown apache:apache -R *

[or]

chown nobody:nogroup /mydirectory
cd mydirectory
chown nobody:nogroup -R *

I hope this helps people with similar problems in the future.

All the best,

Peter