I would hope that MD5 hashing is MD5 hashing no matter where it
originates.  However, I think it's better to use the database server's
implementation.  I believe it is less likely to be changed in future
versions, and it removes some processing time from the front end.
Additionally, if you ever move away from PHP, you have one less line
of platform-specific code to change.