On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 10:12 -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Brad Bonkoski <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:04 AM said:
>
> > Pros: potentially more readable code.
> > Cons: Wasted energy typing unnecessary lines of code.
> > Really I would say it comes down to coder preference.
> >
> > (and why would you avoid the latter all together?  Testing a boolean
> > may be cleaner, but setting the boolean still relies on the value of
> > $value, so if that value was fubar then the boolean would be too.)
>
> Thanks for the response. Those are basically the same assumptions I had.
> I was curious to find out if there were more points I should be aware
> of.
>
> To answer your question, in case the cons outweigh the pros. If I felt
> an overwhelming majority of the people on the list said, "In my
> experience you should always set flags because you'll run into a, b, c,
> d, e, f, g, etc." I would probably agree to avoid the latter practice
> altogether.

If it's just the mere existence that determines the value then isset()
is fine. But if the value is determined by a boolean value of the
variable and defaults to some value when not set, then I almost always
assign to a flag so that subsequent checks don't need to perform both
the isset() check and the value check (presuming you care about E_NOTICE
which I do :)

Cheers,
Rob.