-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lynch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:56 PM
To: Bauer, Jay W
Cc: Roman Neuhauser; php-general@lists.php.net; Mendonce, Kiran (STSD);
Nikiel, Carsten; Rai, Moni (GSE WTEC Cupertino); Rieslund, Mikael;
Bauer, Jay W
Subject: RE: [PHP] Re: Understanding persistent connections with oci8

On Thu, October 12, 2006 1:21 pm, Bauer, Jay W wrote:
>  I agree and right now all there is in the way of tools for an
> administrator to use within the PHP configuration is the number of
> persistent connections per server and the timeout interval.  These are

> a bit crude as tools, but as the persistent_timeout now works it is
> useless as a tool to tear down unneeded, expensive connections that
> are no longer being used.

No.

It works fine.

It just tears them down LATER than you expect, and only under conditions
that make sense to tear them down...

Run your tests again, but wait for the timeout duration, and then ab a
non-OCI file with N requests at once.

N OCI connections should disappear.

You've done this for one connection, and it went away, as expected.

Scale your one-connection test up to N.

jwb> I'd be very surprised if what you are suggesting wouldn't work.
That is exactly what I'd expect, too.  The
jwb> problem is I don't think any one would want to configure and  run
their Apache web server that way.  Most try jwb> to anticipate how many
servers they need, persistent and non-persistent in our case, and run
that way with a
jwb> little head room in total count.   If all we have to be concerned
with are the sockets being used by Apache,
jwb> we see that if we start hitting the max number of servers, and we
need more non-persistent connections, the
jwb> httpd servers will terminate the idle ones for the new requests.
So Apache can pretty much maintain a
jwb> balance between the two.  The problem again gets back to the over
all use of the system, if there are lots of
jwb> the persistent_connections still there, not being used, and the
apache non-persistent load isn't high enough jwb> to shutdown the
persistent_connections, how can that be done.  Again I'm coming to the
point that I think
jwb> having the timeout do it is too expensive.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?