I have just run a phpinfo and ignore_user_abort is indeed defaulting to off.

It's a pretty heavy php-MySQL script. I noticed on scripts without the MySQL interaction, the server can keep up much better with the forced refreshes.
Are there any other liming settings I can change?

All the best,

Ryan

--
Ryan Barclay