On Thursday 26 October 2006 20:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > If you have a PHP script that is 4M in length, you've done something
> > horribly wrong. :-)
>
> Sort of. I'm using Drupal with lots of modules loaded. PHP memory_limit
> is set to 20MB, and at times 20MB is used. I think that works per
> request. All the evidence points to that. So 10 concurrent requests,
> which is not unrealistic, it could use 400MB + webserver overhead. And I
> still want to combine it with another bit of software that will use 10
> to 15MB per request. It's time to think about memory usage and whether
> there are any strategies to disengage memory usage from request rate.

Drupal tends to use about 10 MB of memory in normal usage for a reasonable set
of modules in my experience, but a crapload more on the admin/modules page
because it has to load everything in order to do so.  Normally you won't hit
that page very often. :-)

However, Drupal is deliberately friendly toward APC.  I don't recall the stats
(I know someone made some pretty graphs at one point, but I can't find them),
but simply throwing APC at Drupal should give you a hefty hefty performance
boost.  I believe APC does cache-one-run-many, so the code, at least, will
only be stored in RAM once rather than n times.  (Richard is correct, though,
that data is generally larger than code in most apps.)

Also, search the Drupal forums for something called "Split mode".  It was
something chx was putting together a while back.  I don't know what it's
status is, but he claimed to get a nice performance boost out of it.

Cheers.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson