From: Rory Browne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 2:50 PM
To: Martin Cetkovsky
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] Microsoft Partners With Zend

On 11/6/06, Martin Cetkovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jay Blanchard wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I guess that's sorta what I'm afraid of... PHP#
> > (like the did to Java -> J++ -> C# )
> >
> > Don't get me wrong. C# is a great language (probably one of the few
> > things
> > that M$ did right), and I'd LOOOOOVE to use a real IDE like Visual
> > Studio to
> > dev in...
> >
> > But I'm also terrified they'll pervert PHP.
> > [/snip]
> >
> > Please NO.... PHP.NET === ACCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>
> The .NET compiler for PHP exists for many years. It is created and
> managed by students of the Charles University in Prague.

There are already two such compilers, phlanger, and php4mono. You could
probably also user quercus, and ikvm if  you wanted to.

I can imagine playing around with php4mono, or quercus at some stage,
but I
can't see myself going near Phalanger. This is mainly due to its dirty
licence:

A few extracts:

"You may not modify the Software.",

"You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software,
except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted
by
applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.",

and

"Your rights under the License end automatically if you breach it in any
way."

combined with

"The Software includes libraries in its distribution package (directory
Extensions) that are part of the PHP software"

I therefore have a negative viewpoint on the developers, given their
failure
to distribute phlanger under an apahe-style licence similar to that
used by
the real PHP.