It is my understanding that mysql will not do this unless specified.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html

--lock-all-tables, -x

Lock all tables across all databases. This is achieved by acquiring a global
read lock for the duration of the whole dump. This option automatically
turns off --single-transaction and --lock-tables. Added in MySQL 4.1.8.

--lock-tables, -l

Lock all tables before dumping them. The tables are locked with READ LOCAL
to allow concurrent inserts in the case of MyISAM tables. For transactional
tables such as InnoDB and BDB, --single-transaction is a much better option,
because it does not need to lock the tables at all.

Please note that when dumping multiple databases, --lock-tables locks tables
for each database separately. Therefore, this option does not guarantee that
the tables in the dump file are logically consistent between databases.
Tables in different databases may be dumped in completely different states.

-B