Hi,
What do you think about the following configuration:
1) safe-mode on : this ensures that a php script can read only files that
are owned by the same Unix user on the machine; then just check that people
having a right to use php and mysql on your box have all a different
corresponding Unix user.
2) open-basedir : put this parameter for each "php directory" to this
directory; then the scripts cannot access files that are elsewhere on the
server

In Apache httpd.conf it would be like:
<Directory /path-to-a-php-directory>
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4
    php_admin_value open_basedir '/path-to-a-php-directory'
</Directory>

Has someone tested it ? Do you see a problem in it ?

            Estelle

"Andrzej Swedrzynski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hello!

Recently  someone  asked how to ensure that no one will read pas­
sword from php file. The only response I noticed  was  to  create
group  and add apache user (often nobody) to that group. I consi­
dered this and I can not see what would  stop  other  users  from
writing  php  script  (run also as nobody) which reads filesystem
with permissions of apache?

Is there a method of making php as module really secure?

Regards,

Andrzej

--
http://kokosz.horyzont.net