Try running it under some kind of debugger and see if you can figure
out what directories it's even checking when it doesn't find the
file...

I dunno if Zend IDE (or whatever it's called now) or Komodo or XDebug
or whatnot will do that, but it's definitely sounding very odd if your
include_path has "." in it...

Oooh...
What does PHP think your cwd is?
echo '<hr />cwd: ', cwd(), "<hr />\n";