Here you have defined $c as a ClassB object.
ClassB has all the functions and variables of ClassA, plus those of ClassB.
If you define a function in ClassB which has the same name as a function in
ClassA, it will override it.

"$this" refers to the ClassB object (even inside the ClassA function), since
you defined $c as a ClassB object.  Therefore, the function exists() will be
the ClassB function.

I would suggest you rename the ClassB exists() function in order to do what
you want to do.

Here is a good example to play with that will help you understand
inheritance a bit better.

<?php
class a
{
   function showInfo()
   {
     print "I am class " . get_class($this) . ", my parent is "
.get_parent_class($this);

class b extends a {}

class c extends b {}

$myInstanceB = new b();