Hmm. I was thinking more of a one liner that would just clear the memory
buffer of these variables, but it seems this is a little more involved than
I anticipated. And it's not that I didn't want to use sessions, I just
didn't want the extra work - but what you suggested above is way more work
than sessions. So now I've just used a simple session. If it's true, don't
add the user, if false add user. Still not exactly what I want, but will do
until I find something better.

This is most likely not a php thing, but would there be a way to refresh the
page, fooling the browser into thinking it's being freshly loaded?

Thanks to all.