On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 15:20 -0600, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Sat, December 16, 2006 6:24 am, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >> other
> >
> > I don't think so... the PHP and Zend licenses are quite liberal with
> > very few restrictions. Namely that you don't call your software php or
> > use php in the name (something many packages seem to ignore (either
> > that
> > or they got permission)). The Zend license is practically a clone of
> > the
> > PHP license with a search and replace for PHP to Zend :) There's
> > nothing
> > that says you have to pay to embed it in your own software. That said,
> > if you make a product that uses either the PHP or Zend engine and
> > makes
> > oodles of money, I think you should feel somewhat morally obliged to
> > give back in some way.
>
> Put it this way:  In 2000, if somebody wanted to embed the ZE in a
> commercial product, Zend was planning on charging for it.  I dunno
> what their license for the ZE reads like today, and I wasn't
> authorized to speak on this topic for them then, much less now.

Hmmm, seems a tad risky upgrading software over a 6 year timespan
without ever checking that the licenses haven't discretely added a "we
own your immortal soul" clause :| Unless of course you're still using
PHP 4.0 or whatever was around back then (I'm guessing you're not since
you seem a fairly reasonable sort :)

Cheers,
Rob.